Monday, June 18, 2012

Foundations of Leadership


Leadership in the 21st Century, 6/18/12 
 
I have learned the following key principles that make up the foundation of outstanding leadership:
(i)              Difference between a leader, manager and an individual contributor
(ii)            Emotional Intelligence is more critical for leadership than IQ and Technical skills
(iii)          DiSC types – with my “i” type personality I am a fast moving people-oriented person.
(iv)          Existence of mind traps – I am at risk for anchoring,  confirming bias, overconfidence traps.
(v)            Vroom Yetton Decision Making model – A framework to determine when to take the decision myself (S), when to Consult(C) a few members, and when to allow the entire Group to participate and take a decision
(vi)          Thomas Kilman Conflict Mode instrument – Compete, Collaborate, Compromise, Accommodate, Avoid depending on the situation
(vii)        Crisis Leadership – lead from the front rather than letting media define you. Use the right combination of leadership style. Use autocratic or pace setting styles for the short term and Authoritative style along with affiliative, democratic and coaching styles over long term.
(viii)      Whistle blowers – investigate every whistleblower’s complaint thoroughly.
(ix)          Candor – get every brain engaged, unclutter and increase speed in decision making.
(x)            Celebrate Differences – do not try to change character; play to people’s strengths.
(xi)          Coach – do not set people up for failure. Take the time to develop people. Listen.
(xii)        Six Sins of Leadership – Not giving self-confidence its due, muzzling voice, acting phony, lacking the guts to differentiate, fixation on results over values, skipping the fun part
(xiii)      Crucible moments – to see opportunity in intense situations and reflect on what I truly value most. Translate adversity into something enduring and positive.
(xiv)       Manage Up – over deliver and broaden the horizon of the upper manager.  Think of big ideas that can improve productivity and make everyone look good.
(xv)         Business of Winning – Business is the engine of society. By building strong businesses we can give to communities and create a better world. Business is fun. Play to win !

I feel transformed by this course and will be making several changes going forward. First, my weakness due to “i” DiSC style is a predisposition to sometimes miss accuracy in details. I will therefore pay greater attention to details. Second, I will avoid the 6 sins of leadership as well the mind traps to make better decisions. Third, Jack Welch’s 8 steps of leadership have given me a framework I plan to use for the rest of my life to continuously evolve as a great leader both at work and in life. Additionally, I feel much more confident about handling crisis situations – the existence of difference leadership styles is a revelation to me.

Jack Welch has asked to eliminate grey areas while making decisions. I value this advise tremendously and have resolved to run my business free of corruption and bribes. Furthermore, Lencioni’s five principles of leadership taught me the dysfunctions to look out for in teams. The class exercises, discussions and team project gave me a chance to internalize the principles. I know what to do now to elevate the performance of my teams. 

I feel thrilled, excited and energized by this course and I wish to take this moment to thank Dr Valerie Opher for her continuous reminders about critical thinking, improving my writing skills, encouraging discussions. I also am grateful to my classmates for making it such a memorable learning experience. 

clearly JWMI is among the finest centers of learning on the planet
Dr DP 

No comments:

Post a Comment