Monday, September 2, 2013

CEO Training Part10 - The Grand Finale & Changes to DNA

JWI 599, Capstone, Week10 summary, 9/2/13

It is official. The leadership DNA within me has changed significantly for the better from the intense JWMI MBA adventure.

As a leader, what will I do differently because of this Capstone experience? What are the connections between my leadership behaviors/actions and the Capstone course ?
 
The Capstone course made the business leadership principles I learned throughout the JWMI MBA program come colorfully alive. Based on a 360-degree feedback, which includes a critical self-assessment as well as constructive feedback from other members of the cohort, I have better understood my unique strengths as a leader as well as my shortcomings as a General Manager. There are several things I will do differently as a result of this Capstone experience.

(1) Understand Strategy better and balance with Execution
Firstly, the core strategy needs to be clearly defined. Defining a clear and differentiated strategy must be the GM's job. The brand identity is at stake here. As Scott says, this defines "who you are" as a company. Find the big A-ha, place right people in right places, and keep improving every day with best practices gained from around the world. Once strategy is defined, stick with it and don't try to be overly influenced by tactical comparisons with competition. In the longer run this will lead to a win. A change in strategy mid-way could confuse the market.

(2) Be a Thought Leader: Go deeper into details and achieve the T Shaped leadership Profile
Secondly, my goal is to achieve a T shaped profile that balances horizontal facilitation across silo'd functions with vertical in-depth functional views. To have a pulse on the health of the organization I find it vitally important to balance the horizontal and vertical thinking. Being an "i" DiSC type person, I naturally gravitate towards the people side of things and the time I spend on horizontal activities (eg. M/V/V/S development, administrative responsibilities such as facilitating team meetings, aiding team cohesion) ends up being far greater than the time I spend working on first-hand study in developing an independent view of functions. Having such an indepedent view will prepare me to ask intelligent questions at team meetings that can serve the team in staying on track. By not concentrating adequately on the GM responsibilities such as cash flow, I let the CTC team down in this simulation.

(3) Trust but Verify
Thirdly, one of the biggest mistakes I did early on is to accept the proposals given by my team members without any skeptical questions. As Juan pointed out from Jack Welch's "what leaders do ?" list on p 63 of the Winning book, leaders should probe with questions that border on the skeptical side. If I had done my homework with the DSS and kept my eyes firmly on the 5 goals that matter, I could have caught the CTC shortage in Q2 production capability earlier. Going forward I will dissect every idea that is put forth to me to check for supporting data.

(4) Vary the leadership styles
Fourthly, I have facilitated most of the 18 CTC team meetings held to date and I have learned a few things. In a few meetings some felt being pushed and rushed. In contentious debates, I have heard this side of the team saying their views are being swept aside and not heard adequately while the other side says decisions are not being made swiftly despite a mountain of evidence.  To not alienate either side, varying the leadership style (Goleman, 2000) with individuals ahead of the meeting might help. Giving more air-time to introverts would also help. I have learned that a GM should talk less and listen more.

(5) Achieve better Work-Life balance
This quarter I felt my band-width stretched due to multiple priorities. Through better planning I can aim to improve on this front. I will take up only those jobs where I can play to win and be able to do 100% justice to the team that relies on me to lead.

Sweat is pouring down the brow from the intensity of the paces we were put through at JWMI MBA.
Touched the finish line and lingering a bit more to recap the wisdom gained.
Exhausted and exhilarated at the same time !
The marathon is over. wow.
Dr DP

Reference
Goleman, D. (2000). "Leadership that gets results. Harvard Business School Press. Retrieved from icampus.strayer.edu

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments. I was looking for some insight into the Capstone, as mine will begin in the Spring. Thanks again.

    Martin Querin
    JWMI '16 (hopeful)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having a DNA-changing experience as I did Martin. Give it all you got. To me, the MBA journey is a very personal one. It is all about the synthesis in your mind and soul. This learning will help you face business challenges with greater odds of success.

    Best wishes
    Dr DP

    ReplyDelete